Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The Bucket Lists of Fried Chicken & Waffles

Do you sense Katherine's excitement?!

Sunday we were able to check off items from two of my friends' bucket lists--On Karla and Katherine's (pictured left) bucket lists were visits to the famous Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles.  The original location is housed in Hollywood, however we visited the Long Beach location for dinner.  What is with the craze of chicken and waffles?  Well for one thing, who doesn't love fried chicken?  And for another thing, who doesn't love waffles?  Put them together and it's like the yin and the yang, the peanut butter and the jelly, the Brad and the Angelina, the vodka and the olives.  Okay, you get the point.  :)  

Those who have never experienced the combination often ask, "How do you eat this?  What do you do?"  And I tell them, "Do whatever you want."  To me there is not right or wrong way to eat fried chicken and waffles.  Any way you eat it, you will enjoy the marriage between the sweet and salty.  What are some ways you eat chicken and waffles?  Here are my top 5 ways to devour the special dish:

#2 SCOE’S
1/4 Chix with gravy & onions, 2 waffles.
Also my sweet potato pie & mac n cheese.
1. Pick up the chicken with fingers and chomp through the crispy yet moist meat.  Then after drenching waffle with syrup and whipped butter, use fork and knife to slice a bite of the soft and sweet waffle.

2. Use fork and knife to cut piece of chicken and then use fork and knife to cut piece of waffle.  Dip in syrup and stuff in mouth.


3. Eat chicken separately from the waffle.  I won't judge but can't promise others won't either.

4. Shred the chicken and place over buttered waffles.  Pour syrup all over and enjoy being in heaven.

5. Order a salad.  Wait, don't order a salad here.  Once I did that in addition to my chicken and waffles because I felt I needed to eat some veggies.   Just eat some veggies the next day.  You'll feel the same.

Chicken & Chili Cheese Waffles
Speaking of additional items to order there, Rama and her hubby ordered the chicken and chili cheese fries which was new on the menu.  I happen to sit in between these two love birds and it was a great place to be--within easy reach of this dish.  It was really good!  I also ordered a side of mac n cheese which was better tasting than when I got it a couple of years ago.  It was cheesy and gooey and I pretty much licked the bowl when I was done.  I also ordered a slice of sweet potato pie.  Here's my story with SPP:

My good college friend, Christy (Hi, Christy!) spent Thanksgiving with my family and me one year and of course what pie do you serve on Thanksgiving??  Pumpkin pie!  Well and apple pie.  Oh and pecan pie.  But mainly pumpkin, right?  I love that stuff.  Well, Christy had never tasted Pumpkin Pie before but thought, "Why not?  It looks just like Sweet Potato Pie.  My dad makes the best sweet potato pie and I love it!"  Well she took a bite out of the pumpkin and pretty much threw up in her mouth.  I don't think she has taken a bite of pumpkin pie since then.  (Have you, Christy?)

What's funny is that I passed the SPP around the table to let people taste it and they all thought it tasted just like pumpkin pie!  Nonetheless the pie was good.  Not too sweet which is how I like it. I could have used some whipped cream though.  I didn't finish it because I was stuffed from eating my chicken and waffles/mac n cheese/chicken and chili cheese fries/two iced teas meal.  Hm, I haven't seen it in the fridge either?  I wonder where it went...???

No comments:

Post a Comment