Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Tasty Torture Tour, Part I

I starting writing this post a long time ago, but due to some unforeseen events I was delayed in blogging.  Sorry!

July 13, 2012
What a treat this weekend.  Tim and I have been gnawing on rabbit food (aka salads) for four days to prepare our bodies for what we named the “Tasty Torture Tour.”  Aunt Pat and Uncle Bruce were in town for a family wedding this weekend.  They stayed one night in OC so we can take them to dinner and hang out, then they spent the rest of their time in Temecula.  Guess who was also going to Temecula for the weekend?!  UUUUUSSSS!!!  But you probably already knew that though from my previous Wine+Food=Happiness blog.  

Let’s back up a little.  Friday night we picked up AP/UB from their hotel and drove them to Newport Beach.  We had 7 pm dinner reservations at Sabatino’s-Lido Shipyard Sausage Company.  Tim and I hadn’t been there in a while and we thought it would enjoyable by our two guests.  Sabatino’s is known for their sausages.  And boy was their sausage enjoyed by us!  They blend is with some kind of goat cheese which keeps the meat really moist and flavorful.  We shared the sausage appetizer plate that came out on a sizzling platter with sliced onions and bell peppers next to it.  It was devoured!  Apparently the sausage is also low-fat, so score for us!

The server then brought our complimentary Stracciatella Soup (Italian Wedding Soup) for all of us.  It had a large chunk of their Italian sausage in it as well that was marrying all the ingredients together in the broth.  It reminded me of a Chinese soup my parents make with the thin strands of egg and a green leafy vegetable similar to the spinach in the Stracciatella.  So good!

After munching on our sizzling sausage plate, soup and bread, trying to pace ourselves along the way, our entrees arrive.  Earlier that day Tim and I had talked about sharing a pizza, but I didn’t feel like having that once I got there.  Feeling in the mood for seafood since we were next to the beach, I ordered the Scampi Dello Chef-delectable fresh shrimp sautéed in garlic, white wine, butter and fresh herbs laced with a touch of lemon.  On the side were a few pieces of penne and their marinara which was almost unnecessary since the shrimp was so deliciously satisfying.  Tim got his pizza—thin crust “Eyer combination” with sausage, pepperoni, olives, mushrooms, bell peppers and garlic.  He said it didn’t taste like how he remembered it, but then again we haven’t gone to Sabatino’s in over a year so the recipe probably had changed.  It was tasty, but I think I would have been just as happy as going to Pieology.  However, for breakfast the next morning the leftover pie was turned into a breakfast pizza topped with a fried egg and I must admit the pizza tasted better than it did the night before!

Aunt Pat and Uncle Bruce’s plates looked amazing too.  When we first walked into the restaurant, Uncle Bruce laid his eyes on the glass case that housed their homemade sausage and other items you can order to take home.  It was like this: Uncle Bruce + Stuffed Pepper = love at first site!  Just like when Uncle Bruce saw Aunt Pat for the first time in high school many moons ago back when 25 cents got him a burger, fries and a coke at the local diner.  No use looking at the menu for Uncle Bruce, the stuffed pepper was all that he wanted.  Aunt Pat decided on the cannelloni alfredo that was also drizzled with their marinara.  Both dishes looked rich and creamy and if I wasn’t scarfing down my shrimp I would have had a bite of theirs.  I trusted their taste though as they loved their dishes too and now I know what I’m going to get the next time we go here.  I definitely want to get their stuffed bell pepper—baked to perfection with sausage and creamy risotto nestled inside.  It was huge!  AP and UB resisted the temptation to finish off their plates and saved half of both dishes for the next day.  I think they would have exploded like that blueberry/gum-chewing girl on Willy Wonka if they finished their dish, there was so much food!  We almost got suckered into getting dessert until I had a weird urge for ice cream.  Why weird you ask?  I’m not the biggest dessert fan but really felt ice cream would be the perfect touch for the end of this dinner.  And do you know where they have the best homemade ice cream in Orange County?  Hans Ice Cream in Costa Mesa!  Yup, this tasty torture tour continued to Hans for some sweet treats!  To be continued...


No comments:

Post a Comment