Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Tasty Tourture Tour, Part II

Next stop on the Tasty Torture Tour…the infamous Hans Ice Cream!  There aren’t many homemade ice cream shops anymore these days.  Every where you look there’s some kind of froyo joint or a Coldstones or better yet a RiteAid that sells the good ole Thrifty’s ice cream.  Remember that stuff?  I remember when a scoop of Thrifty’s ice cream was 25 cents… Oh, memories.  

Auntie Pat and Uncle Bruce enjoying their drumstick, Tim's blick ice cream in a waffle cone and my mint munchie!!!
Inside my Mint Munchie
Well the husband introduced me to Hans Ice Cream early on in our dating years and we have been taking our out of towner guests to also enjoy this magical place.  Although I am sensitive to dairy, I toughen up for their homemade ice cream goodness.  And trust me I don’t toughen up for just anything.  Ok well also maybe for Thrifty’s ice cream… okay and Yogurtland…  Anyway, once upon a time my husband tasted black licorice ice cream up in the northwest somewhere (WHAT?! You ask?! Yes… black licorice) and since then he’s been hooked.  Once he moved down to So Cal he was on a mission to find somewhere that served black licorice ice cream.  Little did he know just across the street from where he lived was a small mom and pops ice cream shop called, Hans that served… BLACK LICORICE (Blick for short according to him).  I had a lick or two and I can tell you this… It’s not that bad!  I always think it tastes like pralines and cream ice cream, but I’m weird so why listen to me?  Everyone else we make try it does not agree with me but nevertheless they are completely satisfied walking out of this heavenly shop of ice creamy goodness.



Black Licorice Ice Cream
So here we are so full of Sabatino’s Italian foods and I insist on topping this night with some dessert that they will not regret.  I’ve tried only a few things there—the chocolate covered banana, ice cream sammiches, and the mint munchies.  All these items are handmade and homemade, presented in their lovely frozen display case.  These are the first things you see as you enter Hans and that’s probably why I never get their scooped ice cream because I’ve already made up my mind on getting something out of the display case, plus they have so many ice cream flavors to choose from I get overwhelmed easily.  Tonight was no exception, I walked in and immediately chose the mint munchies which is their homemade mint chocolate ice cream smooshed between two thing and crisp cookies which I think are a ginger snap type.  Love this treat on a stick because I get ice, cookies and chocolate in one!  Uncle Bruce and Aunt Pat shared a drumstick after finding out their ice cream flavor of choice was not being offered (sorry about that!).  It was so good, Uncle Bruce said now when he eats drumsticks, he’s going to compare them to the ones at Hans and he doesn’t think any of them will ever be just as good.  That’s a good thing!  Tim of course got his fav—Blick ice cream in a waffle cone.  And we all know how he feels about that.  If you have tried Hans yet go now!  It’s the best!  And you know what makes it even more awesomer?  Hans is across the street from South Coast Plaza!  So go ahead… spend a shopping day at the mall and then treat yourself to some homemade ice cream at Hans!  Ok… enough talking about ice cream, I’m going to buy some Lactaids now.

No comments:

Post a Comment