Thursday, July 5, 2012

Shout Shout For Brussels Sprouts!

Brussels sprouts are my new favorite vegetable. I've been so scared of them for a longtime because they've gotten a bad rap all of my life. Maybe because the easiest way to cook them is to boil them as that makes then so boring and tasteless and just blaaaah.

Gee now that I think of it I can't remember when I first had good (I mean reaaaallllly good) Brussels sprouts. Husband, do you remember? I remember I ordered them in Seattle and it was amazingly delicious. I know I've ordered then elsewhere, oh well.

Random note: I'm watching Chopped right now at the same time as writing this and one of the secret ingredients is fried chicken. I love fried chicken.

Back to Brussels sprouts. Fresh N Easy grocery store carries a Brussels sprout kit that includes the beautiful green bulbs of goodness, Parmesan butter, Parmesan shavings and the almighty baconnnnnn. Craving this tonight I headed over to my FNE neighborhood grocery store. Blasphemy! They didn't have their little Brussels sprouts kit! Argh. I walked up and down the one produce aisle looking for it (do grocery store workers notice shoppers like me who always make like 5 rounds around the store before checking out? I always wondered about that). Luckily I found a small package of just Brussels sprouts. Then I picked up a package of bacon and some Parmesan cheese. Oh and then I picked up some prosciutto and oh and there was some shrimp on sale. I also looked for some figs (for a goat cheese, prosciutto, fig and honey pizza) but they didn't have any. I used to be a borderline shopping addict with clothes and shoes. Now I'm a borderline shopping addict with food. I don't know which one is worse.

On my way home I remembered an article online about grilling Brussels sprouts. Heck, why not? One less pan to wash in the end, right? So when I got home I busted out the skewers. OMG have you ever tried skewering Brussels sprouts? Nearly impossible. That article was all lies. Lies I tell you!!

Good thing I'm a super awesome professional amazing spectacular rad neat-o cook (haha not really)! To improvise I used some non stick grilling foil and threw all the green balls on it (after mixing it with olive oil, S&P). I don't know where we got this magical foil. Maybe my parents thought it was regular foil and then opened it to find holes all over it. Maybe they were at the dollar store, maybe it was a free trial when you buy a roll of the regular stuff. Who knows. Regardless, if you hate cleaning the grill every time you use it like I do, I suggest this fancy foil.

And then I thought, what the heck I'm going to grill the bacon too! And ya know, not bad. This sooo beats cleaning the bacon grease out of the pan afterwards! And then I thought again (I know there's a lot of thinking going on here), and bam! I cut up some red onions and threw those on the grill! They caramelized and sweetened up nicely.

After everything cooked on the grill I sprinkled on some Parmesan, let that melt a little, and scooped it all up onto my plate. Because I didn't put a huge lump of parm butter in this dish, it wasn't quite the same but still pretty good! I love the flavor of Brussels sprouts no matter what anyone else says about it.

And you know the best thing about eating Brussels sprouts? No one else likes them so I don't have to share and can eat them all by myself. :o)

2 comments:

  1. I love brussels sprouts. We should make them next week! (I always thought they were call brussel sprouts without the last s until I just typed this comment.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do???? Ok! :) I also told your dad we would make him some malasadas. :) I'm not sure if it's brussel or brussels or Brussels either. The first two have red squiggly lines underneath. I should Google this. Can't wait for our sleepover party! :)

    ReplyDelete