Monday, July 2, 2012

Blogger from my iPhone?!

Just downloaded the Blogger app for my iPhone. Although it didn't get very good reviews, I'm going to give it a shot!

A gym buddy was commenting about all my food pictures I post on Facebook. This tells me a couple of things: 1. Cool, people like my food pics and 2. I eat a lot. Well I knew about #2 already as posted in a previous blog. Anywho one of the other gym buddys asked me what I like to cook. I didn't really have an answer but then I thought about my new goal--perfecting grilled steak. I love steak. And I love it medium rare when at a nice restaurant. Sketchy restaurants? Medium please or just a hamburger will do. Haha

Let me back it up about my history with steak from what I can remember. My siblings and I didn't have a great experience with good steak when we were little. After all it gets expensive feeding a family of 5 right? Well when we did have steak my mom would pan fry it until the meat was dead again. I love my mom's cooking don't get me wrong. But she should really stick to Chinese food. When it comes to American food, she adds ketchup to everything. Who knows. So growing up I always had dried overcooked steak. Did I eat it? Yes, because that's all I knew. I thought steak was suppose to taste that way!

Well one day in junior high my mom and dad went on a trip to Hong Kong and left me with some family friends up the hill. Guess where they took me?! Norms. Open 25/7. Or was it 24/8? Can't remember. Anyway I ordered a steak! And let me tell you, it wasn't bad!!! But then again I was what? 12? And really to this day say I will still eat almost anything, even burnt toast. Whatever. I know what you're thinking. I thought it was good. Haha

Not until I could afford eating at fancy restaurants with fancy steaks did I experience melt in my mouth succulent beef. The most amazing steak I've had was at Pebble Beach over looking hole 17 (or was it 18? Husband will verify after he reads this). Perfect. Medium rare. Juicy. Meat-tastic.

Though I'm trying to cut down on red meat I just would like to perfect the grilling of a steak. I followed Bobby Flay's grilling instructions. A little bit of olive oil and salt and pepper liberally. Grill on one side for 5 minutes then the other for 3-4 minutes. Well I think we left it on for seriously a minute longer than instructed. Bad bad move. Always follow instructions. I should know. I'm a teacher. As a result, the steak was over done. Boo. It had great char. Haha

Well the other night I tried again and followed instructions. Triumph! It wasn't perfect but so much better than my chargrilled one previously. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of it. I was too hungry. But it had some red in the middle and boy was it juicy! Tim paired his with some Gorgonzola crumbles and I just ate mine plain. Yummmm! Tim thinks I can still improve which I think I can too. But my cholesterol needs to lower before I should buy another pack of this magical stuff. Lesson learned. Follow the instructions. :)
Chaaaar--grilled. 

No comments:

Post a Comment