Sunday, October 14, 2012

Portola Coffee Lab

I can't remember where I first heard of Portola Coffee Lab. I watch a lot of Food Network shows and I read a lot of food blogs from local writers (like Fast Food Maven from OC Register). So this discovery could have been from anywhere.

It was a Sunday morning where we didn't have anything planned for once which is always nice every once in a while. My Timmy husband told me the night before "I'm going to take you on a surprise tomorrow morning!" I was super excited for this surprise and kept thinking what it could be as I dozed to sleep for the night.

When we woke up this morning I put my sneakers on per Tim's request and put my lip balm in my pocket. The essentials of course... And off we went. East on the 91 freeway, south on the 55 and I thought hmm maybe 85 Degrees for breakfast?! Then we got on the 405 North and then I knew we passed 85 Degrees. So hmm what else is North on the 405? We pulled up to a furniture store plaza and then I realized where I was... OC Mart Mix! And what's inside OC Mart Mix?! Portola Coffee Lab! Woohoo!

It's pretty cool inside. Exposed ceiling, wooden structures and eclectic stores fill this building. Not much was open since it was still early in the morning. But it was neat to walk around and think about the stores we want to check out when we come back...like the Cheese Store.

So we walked up to Portola Coffee Lab and that's exactly what we saw--a science lab-like place with baristas as the scientists in their lab coats. This isn't your ordinary coffee shop with coffee pots but instead the coffee scientists meticulously brew each cup in fancy ways I cannot even explain. Just go and watch their experiment with your coffee beans.

The service was delightful. I was unsure what to order or how things worked there. The nice woman at the register with the pretty red lips kindly explained the different options while asking me my preferences to best form her hypothesis on what I should get. In the end they brewed me up a Colombian roast and I accompanied that with a breakfast burrito because why not?! Tim got his chai latte (not a fan of coffee him) and a breakfast burrito too.

He wasn't blown away with his chai latte (he loves the Trader Joe's powder kind) but we both enjoyed our breakfast burritos that has egg, bacon, bell pepper, and black beans in it. It came with a side of not-to-spicy-yet-still-tasty salsa. My coffee was was bold, flavorful and tingled my tongue with excitement. Because I told red lips lady I drink coffee with cream and sugar she suggested this particular coffee and method would go best with what I desired. I'm sure whatever I got though it would have good. If you're a coffee lover and in the mood to check out a really cool somewhat trendy indoor mall-ish type place, check out the OC Mart Mix!

Also if my brother is reading this, there's a place called SHUCK Oyster Bar that we'd like to take you to too. Looks cool. :o)

1 comment: